Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Thumb Drive Savvy!



When I first realized that I was somewhat ‘geeky’ it was the same time that I started carrying a thumb drive around in my purse. When I changed purses for the day, my thumb drive followed. I was never without it. I found it so convenient and when you need it the most it is there for you. Great for transferring files quickly, taking work home with you, and easy storage.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the concept of a thumb drive it can simply explained as a portable memory storage. They are small in size like the human thumb – hence their name – and are very stable devices. I started with a 512MB thumb drive. That was way back, when the biggest was 2GB and really expensive too. Today thumb drives are becoming smaller in design, flatter, cheaper and of course, bigger in memory capacity. The largest today is 8GB. To put the size in perspective for you, an 8GB thumb drive can hold one full season of desperate house wives (depending on the quality of the show and number of episodes).

For those of you who store mostly text files and a few photos, a 1GB thumb drive should be sufficient. But for the ladies that need to carry everything with them (the latest episode of House, the top ten songs, pictures of you and your friends) opt for at least a 2GB or 4GB.

The better and more reliable brands of thumb drives are Kingston and Sony. I have used the Kingston 2GB, 4GB, and 8GB and all were fast and reliable.

But my favorite thumb drive of all time is the mini thumb drive (shown in the picture above). It fits right into my wallet and mine is 8GB. I bought mine from Shanghai so there is no branding on it but it is still as reliable as the Kingston devices I’ve used in the past.

Other cool thumb drives out there now are thumb drive touch and mp3 player thumb drives. The first is a biometric scanner that is integrated into the device so your information is kept private and safe. The latter is a thumb drive device that stores music and plays directly from there, just connect some head phones and you’re all set. Though it can also fall under the mp3 player category, it still functions like a thumb drive. The photos are below.

No comments: